J.O. Commissioner June 2017 Update
The summer softball season is here and I want to provide some important information going forward. Please let me know if there are any issues you would like me to address in my next update.
- 12U All American Team – We have had more than 100 young athletes signed up for the tryouts. More than 75 girls participated in the May 7th tryout at Twin Creeks Park and the process of evaluation and selection has been a difficult task. The final tryout will be conducted at Al Bishop Park at 4:00 PM on Sunday, June 18. USASB of GA is pleased to announce that Jessica Williams-Sweat and her twin sister Amanda Williams-Paz have accepted the positions as Co-Head Coaches. They will be assisted by McKenzie Woody, Chris Backes, and Jose Tunon. The All American event will be held August 18 – 20 at Hall of Fame Stadium in Oklahoma City. The final roster of 15 will be selected by late June and will represent Georgia at this prestigious event.
- Tournament Registration – When you go to the tournamentusasoftball.com web site to enter an event make sure you read all information and the “downloads” in an effort to correctly enter your team, and be prepared when you check in at an event. Per USASB of GA policy, there will be no refunds for teams pulling out of the event after the official bracket has been published.
- Register USA Softball – Once your team has received “Approved” status you can print your insurance certificate by going to the “Printable Documents” tab and click on the insurance certificate. Also, your team cannot be “Approved” until all the registration fees, birth certificates, coaches’ background checks, and ACE certification has been cleared. The new ID cards are taking between 2 – 3 weeks due to the heavy traffic from all the states registering their teams at this time. Make sure you provide your Team ID# when requesting information/action from me. Keep in mind, for all USASB of GA qualifier tournaments every coach in the dugout and/or on the field must have completed the current year background check and be ACE certified for the current year.
- Softballs – Wilson has produced the A9011 official game ball with the USASB of GA logo imprinted on the ball. We are offering the balls at a reduced price of $65.00 per dozen and free shipping. Contact me at email@example.com to place an order.
- Congrats! – To the following teams for securing their berths at a USASB National Championship Tournament: 12U Force Elite Champions-Arnold, 12U Georgia Impact-Lewis, 14U GAP DeMarini, 14U GA Glory-Akins, 16U Southern Force-Martin, and 16U Georgia Academy Power-Mickler, 18A Lady Jackets, 18A ProStar Fastpitch. Each of these teams will represent USA SB of GA well. If your team earns a USASB national tournament berth at an event out of state please let me know, so we can recognize them on our web site.
- Upcoming USASB of GA June Scheduled Events –
16A June 2-4 in Columbus
18A June 2-4 in Marietta
10A & 12A in Marietta
14A June 16-18 in Cumming
10A & 12A June 16-18 in Marietta
18A June 16-18 in Savannah,
“B” All Ages June 16-18 in Marietta
14A June 30-July 2 in Cumming
NOTE: 18Gold State Co-Champions – Angels Gold & Gold Coast Hurricanse.
- Out of State Tournaments – If your team plans to play in an out of state qualifying event you need to go to your “Printable Documents” and send me the “Official Entry Form”, so I can sign it and send it back to you. Without it you will not be allowed to participate in one of these events.
- USASB Player of the Year – Congratulations to Kelly Barnhill of the Univ. of Florida for being named the 2017 USASB Player of the Year. Kelly is from Georgia and played in the EC Bullets Club program and won a GHSA State Championship at Pope H.S. Kelly and her Gator team will be participating in the WCWS in OKC this week and next.
- Certified Equipment – For information on bat/equipment certification go to the USASB web site at: www.teamusa.org/USA-Softball/Play-USA-Softball/Certified-USA-Softball-Equipment
Good Fortune to all and let me know if I can assist in any way.